If a coworker calls your mobile phone, you may not recognize the phone number. Even though you can look them up in the Global Address List (GAL), their Caller ID won’t display a name or photo because they are not in your contacts. To take advantage of Caller ID when a coworker calls, you will want to sync the GAL to the Contacts folder of your Exchange Mailbox.
This guide shows CiraSync Enterprise Edition users how to sync the GAL using the CiraSync dashboard. If you are not a CiraSync Enterprise Edition user and would like to learn more about it, please read our Enterprise Edition FAQ.
If you are an on-premise Exchange user, check out the itrezzo solution!
- Log in to the CiraSync tenant dashboard.
- Click the + in the Contact Lists. (See figure below.)
- Select the contact source type. For this example, we will use Global Address List as the contact source. (See figure below.)
You will be taken to STEP 1: Select Active Directory Items on the CiraSync dashboard. (See figure below.)
- Select the desired contact sources. In this example, we will use All Mailboxes and All Contacts.
- Click the NEXT button on the top-right corner. (See figure below.)
You will be taken to the STEP 2: Choose target mailboxes window. (See figure below.)
- Select the user contact you would like to use as a target.
- Click NEXT on the top-right corner. NOTE: If you would like to use a Contact Collection as a sync target, click the COLLECTIONS tab and select the collection you would like to use as the sync target. (See figure below.)
You will be taken to STEP 3: Specify contact list options. (See figure below.)
- Name the contact list in the box under Provide Contact List Name. NOTE: The contact list name will be added as a category for each contact synced by CiraSync.
- Check Sync Contact Groups if you have groups in the contact list and would like to sync members of that group.
- Check Populate Outlook Auto-Complete List if you want these sync contacts appear in the Outlook Auto-Complete list.
- Click the + next to Contacts. NOTE: If you would like to sync these contacts to your main Contacts folder, then skip to Step 13.
- Enter the preferred name of your subfolder.
- Click SAVE. (See figure below.)
You will be taken to the sync summary dashboard. (See figure below.)
- Click the CiraSync icon in the top-left corner of the window to return to the CiraSync home dashboard.
- Check the Update Cache box under the Sync Status pane in the top-right corner of the dashboard.
- Click SYNC NOW to run a manual sync. (See figure below.)
Congratulations, you have just set up GAL sync on the CiraSync dashboard! Now, all the contacts you have just synced should appear in the main Contacts folder of user mailboxes. From there, CiraSync will propagate these sync contacts on Outlook- and Exchange-enabled devices.
For more quick answers to technical questions, check out our Technical FAQ and the resources listed below:
- Sync Exchange Mailbox Contacts to an entire Office 365 Tenant
- 14 Reasons You Need to Sync the Office 365 GAL or Contact Folders to Smartphones
- How to Sync Office 365 GAL to smartphones (Enterprise Edition)