There are two ways that permissions can be given to a service account for GAL or Public Folder sync to user mailboxes:
- The IT Admin can delegate user permissions to their service accounts.
- The IT Admin can also set impersonation mode on their service account.
This guide shows how to set up impersonation mode on a service account.
NOTE: More information on Application Impersonation and service account permissions can be found here: Exchange Service Account Permissions and itrezzo Contact Management.
- Launch the Office 365 Admin Portal.
- Click Admin centers > Exchange to display the Admin Exchange Center dialog box. (See figure below.)
- Click permissions in the navigation panel.
- Click + to add a new role group and name the group in admin roles. In this example, the new group is named App Impersonation.
- Click + under Roles, and add the Application Impersonation Role.
- Click + under Members, and add the service account of choice.
- Click Save. NOTE: It can take 30–40 minutes for the Application Impersonation role to apply on the service account and replicate across Office 365 services. (See figure below.)
Congratulations, you have learned how to set Application Impersonation Mode on your CiraSync service account. If you have more technical questions, please check out our Technical FAQ and the technical articles listed below.