This guide shows how to use CiraSync Enterprise Edition to sync the Global Address List (GAL) between two Office 365 tenants. NOTE: This guide uses Tenant A and Tenant B as examples.
If you are an on-premise Exchange user, learn how to share contacts between two Exchange organizations on itrezzo!
Creating a User Mailbox
NOTE: This user mailbox will contain GAL contents of Tenant A. Therefore, this user mailbox should not be accessed or used by users to minimize alterations to the mailbox content.
- Launch the Office 365 Admin Portal of Tenant A.
- Click Users > Active Users in the left navigation panel.
- Click +Add a user at the top of the page. The Add new user panel will appear on the screen. (See figure below.)
- Provide a name for this mailbox.
- Click Password > Let me create the password.
- Create a strong password for the user mailbox.
- Uncheck the Make this user change their password when they first sign in box.
- Click the slider next to an Exchange Online Plan to assign a Microsoft Exchange License to the mailbox. NOTE: The licenses can be any of the following plans in Office 365: Kiosk for $2.00 per month, Microsoft F1/Plan 1 for $4.00 per month, or Plan 2 for $8.00 per month.
- Click Add at the bottom of the panel.
Syncing the Global Address List to the New User Mailbox
- Log in to the CiraSync home dashboard of Tenant A.
- Click + in the Contact List pane.
- Select the Global Address List as the Contact Source Type.
- Follow the wizard to create a sync tunnel. NOTE: The source will be contacts of the Tenant A GAL, which can be All Mailboxes and/or All Users, a Contact Collection, or a Dynamic Distribution List. The target will be the user mailbox created in Creating a User Mailbox section of this guide.
- Perform a manual sync with the Update Cache box checked.
Syncing the Tenant A Global Address List to Tenant B
- Log in to the CiraSync home dashboard of Tenant B.
- Click the + in the Contact Lists pane. (See figure below.)
- Select Shared Mailbox at another Company as the contact source type. (See figure below.)
- Type in the user mailbox that was created in the Creating a User Mailbox section of this guide.
- Click SIGN IN. (See figure below.)
- You will be taken to the Office 365 sign-in page. (See figure below.)
- Type in the password of the user mailbox.
- Click Sign in. You will be taken to STEP 1: Select Private Folder from another Company. (See figure below.)
- Select the Contacts List created from the sync performed in the Syncing the Global Address List to the New User Mailbox section of this guide.
- Click NEXT. (See figure below.) You will be taken to STEP 2: Choose target mailboxes. (See figure below.)
- Select All Mailboxes to sync to sync Tenant A’s GAL to your users.
- Click NEXT. (See figure below.) You will be taken to STEP 3: Specify contact list options. (See figure below.)
- Name the contact list you are about to create in the box under Provide Contact List Name. NOTE: The contact list name will be added as a category for each contact synced by CiraSync.
- Check Sync Contact Groups if you have groups in the contact list and would like to sync members of that group.
- Check Populate Outlook Auto-Complete List if you want these sync contacts appear in the Outlook Auto-Complete list.
- Click the + next to Contacts, and then name the subfolder to sync to a subfolder. NOTE: If you would like to sync these contacts to your main Contacts folder, then skip to Step 14.
- Click SAVE. (See figure below.) You will be taken to the sync summary dashboard. (See figure below.)
- Click the CiraSync logo in the top-left corner of the window to return to the CiraSync home dashboard.
- Check the Update Cache box under the Sync Status pane at the top-right corner of the dashboard.
- Click SYNC NOW to run a manual sync. (See figure below.)
NOTE: If Tenant B has to sync their GAL to Tenant A, Tenant A and B will switch roles. Tenant B will follow the steps in the Creating a User Mailbox and Syncing the Global Address List to the New User Mailbox sections of this guide. Tenant A will then follow the steps in the Syncing the Tenant A Global Address List to Tenant B section of this guide.
Congratulations, you have used CiraSync to sync the GAL between two Office 365 tenants!
For more quick answers to technical questions, check out our Technical FAQ page and the resources listed below: