This guide shows how to sync contact list subsets to a subset of users.
NOTE: The example in this guide shows how to sync subsets of the Global Address List to two different user groups.
Creating Contact Collections to Categorize Users
- Log in to the CiraSync home dashboard.
- Click the + in the Contact Collections pane.
- Click the pen icon to name the collection.
- Add users to the collection.NOTE: Users can be added individually to the collection. However, we recommend using an Office 365 Dynamic Distribution Group so you can add multiple users with a single click. Furthermore, if you do not have many users that need to be synced, you can also add All Mailboxes to the Collection, expand the collection, and then manually exclude undesired user mailboxes.
- Click SAVE.
- Repeat Steps 1–5 to create multiple Contact Collections. This guide will use two Contact Collections—one called VIP Users and one called Regular Users.
Syncing Contact List Subsets to User Subsets
- Click the + in the Contact Lists pane.
- Select the Global Address List as the contact source type. You will be taken to STEP 1: Select Active Directory Items. (See figure below.)
- Select the desired contact source.NOTE: A source can be All Contacts and/or All Mailboxes, a user mailbox, a Contact Collection, or a Dynamic Distribution Group. To sync a subset of the GAL, select one of the Contact Collections created in the Creating Contact Collection Collections to Categorize Users section of the guide. In this example, click the COLLECTIONS tab and select VIP Users.
- Click NEXT. You will be taken to STEP 2: Choose target mailboxes. (See figure below.)
- Click the Collections tab to pull up a list of CiraSync Contact Collections.
- Select one of the Contact Collections created in the Creating Contact Collections to Categorize Users section of this guide.
- Click NEXT. (See figure below.)You will be taken to STEP 3: Specify contact list options. (See figure below.)
- Name the contact list in the box under Provide Contact List Name. In this example, the contact list is named GAL Contacts (VIP Users).
- Check Sync Contact Groups to sync groups that appear in the contact list as a single contact. If you do not check this box, only members of the group will be synced as a contact.
- If you keep the Add category with contact list name checked, all contacts synced by CiraSync will have the name of the Contact List in the Category field. If the Category field is already filled, CiraSync will not delete the data in the field. Instead, CiraSync will add the name next to that data.
- Check Populate Outlook Auto-Complete List for the synced contacts to appear in the Outlook Auto-Complete list.
- Click the + next to Contacts to sync the contact list as a subfolder. If you would like to sync to the main Contacts folder, skip to Step 9.
- Click SAVE. You will be taken to the Sync Summary dashboard. (See figure below.)
- Click the blue back arrow to return to the home dashboard.
- Repeat Steps 1–10 to sync to sync other user subsets with other contact list subsets. In this example, a contact list will be created called GAL (Regular Users), and it use the Contact Collection Regular Users as the source and target of the sync.
- Check the Update Cache box under the Sync Status pane.
- Click SYNC NOW to perform a manual sync. (See figure below.)NOTE: If you have the CiraSync Streamer enabled, running a manual sync can be skipped. CiraSync will run this sync task during the next scheduled sync.