Having a Global Administrator Account with the Application Impersonation Role is required when first upgrading to CiraSync Enterprise Edition. Application Impersonation is a role that can be created in Office 365, and with it, CiraSync can use the Administrator Account as if it were a user account. This allows CiraSync to authenticate sync tasks and push updates to every user in an Office 365 tenant.
Before You Start
It is recommended to create a dedicated service account for the CiraSync management of sync tasks performed in an Office 365 tenant. Learn the benefits of a having dedicated service account for CiraSync and how to set one up with the following technical support article: Setting up a Dedicated Service Account for CiraSync in Office 365. Then, return to these instructions to learn how to give the dedicated service account the Application Impersonation Role.
- Launch the Office 365 Admin Center.
- Click Exchange under Admin Centers in the left-hand navigation panel. You will be taken to the Exchange Admin Center (EAC).
- Click permissions in the navigation panel.
- Click + to add a new role group and name the group in admin roles. In this example, the new group is named App Impersonation.
- Click + under Roles, and add the Application Impersonation Role.
- Click + under Members, and add the service account of choice.
- Click Save. (See figure below.) NOTE: It can take 30–40 minutes for the Application Impersonation role to apply on the service account and replicate across Office 365 services.