When using CiraSync Enterprise Edition, you will need a Dedicated Service Account in Office 365 for CiraSync to manage the Global Address List (GAL), Public Folder, and Shared Mailbox sync for an entire Office 365 tenant. This guide shows how to create and set up a dedicated service account for CiraSync.
Why Should I Create a Dedicated Service Account?
The dedicated service account comes with these benefits:
- The password expires periodically when using personal Office 365 credentials: the dedicated service account password can be set to never expire.
- A dedicated service account allows users to freely give and restrict access to specific accounts in the Office 365 tenant.
- The dedicated service account can be disabled without affecting other accounts and functions of CiraSync.
- Access to this account can be given to other users without revealing the account’s password.
Before You Start
- The dedicated service account must be a Global Administrator with the App Impersonation role when you first sign in to CiraSync Enterprise Edition, but after this, the account can be downgraded to a Service Administrator.
- CiraSync will not work if the account is set with multiple factor authentication.
- The service account does not work with single-sign-on.
Creating the Dedicated Service Account
- Launch the Office 365 Admin Portal.
- Click on Users > Active users on the left navigation panel. (See figure below.)
- Click + Add a user button.
- Provide a Display Name and a Username for the service account.
- Click Contact Information and fill in the required fields.
- Click Password to a create a password for this new account.
- Click Roles, and then select Global Administrator.
- Click Product Licenses and assign license, if required.NOTE: If you plan to sync Public Folders, you need to assign one of the following licenses: Kiosk for $2.00 per month or Microsoft F1 (or Plan 1) for $4.00 per month, and then the service account needs to be granted Reviewer permissions in the Public Folder. Skip this step if you only plan to use the GAL sync feature.
- Click Add.
Congratulations! You have just created a dedicated service account for CiraSync. Please proceed to Setting Impersonation Mode to Sync to User Mailboxes to complete the CiraSync Enterprise Edition prerequisites.