When using CiraSync Enterprise Edition, you will need a Dedicated for CiraSync to manage the Global Address List ( in Office 365 ), , and sync for an entire Office 365 . This guide shows how to create and set up a dedicated service account for CiraSync.
Why Should I Create a Dedicated Service Account?
The dedicated service account comes with these benefits:
- The password expires periodically when using personal Office 365 credentials: the dedicated service account password can be set to never expire.
- A dedicated service account allows users to freely give and restrict access to specific accounts in the Office 365 tenant.
- The dedicated service account can be disabled without affecting other accounts and functions of CiraSync.
- Access to this account can be given to other users without revealing the account’s password.
Before You Start
- The dedicated service account must be a Global Administrator with the App Impersonation role when you first sign in to CiraSync Enterprise Edition, but after this, the account can be downgraded to a Service Administrator.
- CiraSync will not work if the account is set with multiple factor authentication.
- The service account does not work with single-sign-on.
Creating the Dedicated Service Account
- Launch the Office 365 Admin Portal.
- Click on Users > Active users on the left navigation panel. (See figure below.)
- Click + Add a user button.
- Provide a Display Name and a Username for the service account.
- Click Contact Information and fill in the required fields.
- Click Password to a create a password for this new account.
- Click Roles, and then select Global Administrator.
- Click Product Licenses and assign license, if required.NOTE: If you plan to sync Public Folders, you need to assign one of the following licenses: Kiosk for $2.00 per month or Microsoft F1 (or Plan 1) for $4.00 per month, and then the service account needs to be granted Reviewer permissions in the Public Folder. Skip this step if you only plan to use the GAL sync feature.
- Click Add.
Congratulations! You have just created a dedicated service account for CiraSync. Please proceed to Setting Impersonation Mode to Sync to User Mailboxes to complete the CiraSync Enterprise Edition prerequisites.