If a coworker calls your mobile phone, you may not recognize the phone number. Even though you can look them up in the Global Address List (), their Caller ID won’t display a name or photo because they are not in your contacts. To take advantage of Caller ID when a coworker calls, you will want to sync the GAL to the Contacts folder of your Exchange Mailbox.
This guide shows CiraSync Enterprise Edition users how to run a GAL Sync using the CiraSync dashboard. If you are not a CiraSync Enterprise Edition user and would like to learn more about it, please read our Enterprise Edition FAQ.
If you are an on-premise Exchange user, check out the itrezzo solution!
Before You Start
This guide assumes that a dedicatedwith Impersonation Mode has been set for your CiraSync . Without an administrator account with , CiraSync will be unable to push contact and calendar updates to user mailboxes. Check out the following articles to learn how to set up a dedicated service account with the appropriate permissions for your tenant and then return here to learn how to sync the GAL with CiraSync Enterprise Edition:
- Setting up a Dedicated Service Account for CiraSync in Office 365
- Setting Impersonation Mode to Sync to User Mailboxes
- Making CiraSync Use a Specific Office 365 Service Account
- Log in to the CiraSync tenant dashboard.
- Click the + in the Contact Lists. (See figure below.)
- Select the contact
You will be taken to STEP 1: Select Active Directory Items on the CiraSync dashboard. (See figure below.)
type. For this example, we will use Global Address List as the contact source. (See figure below.)
- Select the desired contact sources. NOTE: The source of a GAL sync can be an All Mailboxes and/or All Contacts, a single user mailbox, a, or a . In this example, All Mailboxes and All Contacts will be the source of this GAL sync.
- Click the NEXT button on the top-right corner. (See figure below.)
You will be taken to the STEP 2: Choose mailboxes window. (See figure below.)
- Select the user contact you would like to use as a target.
- Click NEXT on the top-right corner. (See figure below.) NOTE: If you would like to use a Contact Collection as a sync target, click the COLLECTIONS tab and select the collection you would like to use as the sync target.
You will be taken to STEP 3: Specify contact list options. (See figure below.)
- Name the contact list in the box under Provide Contact List Name. NOTE: The contact list name will be added as a category for each contact synced by CiraSync.
- Check Sync Contact Groups if you have groups in the contact list and would like to sync members of that group.
- Check Populate if you want these sync contacts appear in the Outlook Auto-Complete list.
- Click the + next to Contacts. NOTE: If you would like to sync these contacts to your main Contacts folder, then skip to Step 13.
- Enter the preferred name of your subfolder.
- Click SAVE. (See figure below.)
You will be taken to the sync summary dashboard. (See figure below.)
- Click the CiraSync icon in the top-left corner of the window to return to the CiraSync home dashboard.
- Check the Update Cache box under the Sync Status pane in the top-right corner of the dashboard.
- Click SYNC NOW to run a manual sync. (See figure below.)